Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Friday, December 20, 2013

DVD Review: CAESAR AND OTTO'S DEADLY XMAS (2012)


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1681372/CAESAR AND OTTO'S DEADLY XMAS
Written & Directed by
Distributed by MVD Entertainment Group

  A while back on this blog, I reviewed a great horror/comedy called CAESAR AND OTTO'S SUMMER CAMP MASSACRE.    I remember really enjoying that film, so I was super excited when I got the chance to review the newest Caesar and Otto film, CAESAR AND OTTO'S DEADLY XMAS. Unfortunately, I have to admit I was extremely disappointed in this film. Here is the plot of the film from the MVD website:

  Caesar and his half brother Otto take on duties as Santa and his elf. However, the bodies begin to pile up when a fellow store Santa (CKY's Deron Miller) develops a vendetta against them, and he soon turns Caesar's list of Dinner guests into a list of Xmas-inspired victims! Features cult movie icons Linnea Quigley, Brinke Stevens, Lloyd Kaufman, Joe Estevez, Felissa Rose and Robert Z'dar.

  So don't get me wrong, the film is not terrible, and it does have a few things going for it, but I was just not entertained overall by this film.  Maybe I was hoping for too much, or expecting more from it than I should have, but this film just fell flat for me.   The film was definitely more comedy than horror, as even the "horror " scenes were campy and supposed to be funny.  Unfortunately, usually they weren't really all that funny, even though you could tell they were trying to be.  

  Also, I will use this film as my gateway to telling you about one of my pet peeves about low budget horror films, and that is the inclusion of Troma's Lloyd Kaufman in the film with a cameo.  I know that Lloyd is a huge supporter of independent film, and he offers his services for a small fee to help filmmakers  get a "name" on their cast list, but to be honest, I think it might actually have more of a  negative effect than a positive one.  For me it looks like a gimmick, and usually if a film needs to use a gimmick like that, then the movie appears to be lacking any real substance.

  I hate that I didn't enjoy this one more, as I really like the actors that play Caesar and Otto, but this film just didn't do anything for me.  Give it a shot, though, and see what you think.  Maybe I just wasn't in the holiday horror/comedy spirit.  CAESAR AND OTTO'S DEADLY XMAS is available now on DVD and contains the following special features:

  • Three Commentary Tracks (Director, Cast/ Crew, Actors)
  • Behind the Scenes Featurette
  • Alternate Scenes
  • Short film: Piggyzilla
  • Short Film: Otto's First Job
  • Trailers
  • Bonus Short Film: The Perfect Candidate


  • CLICK HERE  to watch the trailer
    CLICK HERE  to purchase the DVD


    http://mvdb2b.com/




     


    No comments:

    Post a Comment