Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, April 3, 2014

DVD Review: MEMORY OF THE DEAD

 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1826720/MEMORY OF THE DEAD
Directed by
Distributed by Artsploitation Films

  I have said it before and I will say it again...I LOVE foreign horror films!  There are so many great horror movies being made all over the world, you owe it to yourself to check out some of these great foreign films!  I just watched a film from Argentina called MEMORY OF THE DEAD.  This was a visually stunning film that was heavily influenced by some of the top names in horror.   Here is the basic plot synopsis from the Artsploitation website:

  A stylish supernatural shocker that has been a hit at film festivals around the world. Argentina’s Memory of the Dead boasts some terrifying FX setpieces bathed in a candy-colored visual palette that makes Mario Bava’s gothic classics look monochromatic by comparison. Following the sudden death of her husband, Alicia assembles all his friends at a vast country manor for a reading of his final letter. But Alicia also has other plans in mind – helping her husband return from the grave with a spell that will put all of the gathered guests in mortal danger. Scary, hysterical and packed with mind-boggling visuals, Memory of the Dead is the cinematic equivalent of a funhouse ride.

  I love the reference comparing this film to a funhouse ride.  That is spot on as there is something different going on with each person in the house...a different surprise around every corner!  There are some crazy death sequences in this film, and just some crazy visuals all throughout the film.   One thing I noticed from the beginning was the excellent camera work.  There are some very cool shots throughout the film, great camera angles and such.

  It's interesting that this film was compared to a Mario Bava film in the plot synopsis.  I can totally see that, but I can also see influences from Dario Argento  (use of color),  and most of all, Sam Raimi and the EVIL DEAD films.  There are a few scenes taken directly from the EVIL DEAD films, a nice homage for sure!

  Fans of gore will be thrilled by this film...there are some crazy gore effects in this film, some that truly made me cringe, and I don't get bothered by too much!

  I highly suggest you check out MEMORY OF THE DEAD.  The DVD is available now from Artsploitation Films.


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD

http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/




1 comment:

  1. That trailer was AWESOME!!! I love green backlighting done well invoice thank you!!

    ReplyDelete