Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Blu-ray review: HORSEHEAD (2014)


http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/film/horsehead/HORSEHEAD
Directed by 
Distributed by  Artsploitation Films

  Wow.  This is a visually stunning film, and an amazing achievement in film making in my opinion.  I have to admit, though, I can't say I understand it 100%.  Heck, I'm about 50/50 on understanding this thing.  The film is called HORSEHEAD and it is a basically a nightmare shown on film.   Here is the basic plot synopsis from the Artsploitation Films website:

  Haunting and horrific, surreal and shocking, HORSEHEAD is a new horror-fantasy that pays tribute to the classic European shockers of Dario Argento and Mario Bava while also remaining a unique film with its own vision, delivering unforgettable images that both disturb and enchant. Director Romain Basset’s tale follows beautiful young Jessica (Lilly-Fleur Pointeaux) as she returns to her family’s countryside estate for her grandmother’s funeral. Haunted by recurring nightmares of a horse-headed monster, Jessica attempts to put her studies of “lucid dreaming” to good use, as she semi-consciously navigates through this dream landscape, trying to discover the secrets behind this sinister apparition. But Jessica must also cope with a hostile mother (The Beyond‘s Catriona MacColl), and the growing realization that the death of her grandmother was actually a suicide triggered by the woman’s past traumas and visions. HORSEHEAD is a feverish, ethereal journey through the world of nightmares.

  If you are a into visuals and symbolism, then this is definitely a film for you!  The film is shot beautifully with some amazing sets.   The acting is very good from everyone involved.   Like I mentioned above, I didn't understand a lot of this film, it's one I will need to watch a 2nd or even 3rd time to understand all the symbolism probably.  Even with the lack of understanding a lot of the film, that didn't take away any of the enjoyment factor whatsoever.  Basically, you can sit back watch and enjoy the visuals on display, some of which are beautiful, and some of which are downright terrifying.

  This is the first feature film from director Romain Basset, and is an amazing first effort in my opinion.  I can't wait to see what his future projects consist of!  This is a must see in my opinion. Check it out and let me know what you think.  If you've already seen the film, please leave a comment below and let us know what you thought of the film.
 
  HORSEHEAD is available now on DVD and Blu-ray from Artsploitation Films.  Special features include the following:

*  Trailer
*  Inside Horsehead - The Making Of
*  Four Short Films


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer  (NSFW)
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray / DVD

http://www.artsploitationfilms.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment