Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Blu-ray Review: POLTERGEIST (2015)


https://www.foxconnect.com/poltergeist-1.htmlPOLTERGEIST 
Directed by 
Distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

 Most horror fans will know that this is a remake of the 1982 film of the same name.  While many horror remakes are frowned upon by most true horror fans, every now and then a remake comes along and you realize that a remake can be a very fun way to re-visit a great movie from the past.  POLTERGEIST was one of those films for me.   Here is the basic plot of the film from the 20th Century Fox website:

  From legendary filmmaker Sam Raimi (Spider-Man, The Grudge) and director Gil Kenan (Monster House) comes this “thrilling” (Justin Lowe, THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) film starring Sam Rockwell and Rosemarie DeWitt. After the Bowen family moves into a seemingly perfect suburban home, sinister spirits begin to haunt them. And when the terrifying apparitions abduct Maddy, their youngest daughter (Kennedi Clements), the Bowens must find a way to rescue her – or they’ll lose her forever. With suspenseful storytelling and jaw-dropping visuals, this electrifying take on a spine-chilling classic will haunt you from its early nightmarish moments to its exhilarating climax!

  It seems like all Hollywood is putting out these days is possession and/or "haunted" films of some sort, with the likes of the the INSIDEOUS and PARANORMAL ACTIVITY films, and movies like THE CONJURING.  While POLTERGEIST fits into those categories, it still manages to seem fresh and new, and really sets itself apart from the above mentioned films.   This film has some crazy, over the top effects, just as you would expect if you were a fan of the original series of POLTERGEIST films.  While this new film relies on more CG effects than the original did, they are used very well and fit in well overall.    The acting is very good in this film as well, from the adults to the kids.  Everyone put in a very good performance, with the children putting in some very powerful acting jobs. 

 The original POLTERGEIST is one of my all time favorite horror films.  This new re-envisioning of the film does a wonderful job re-creating the fun and scares that the original delivered to us back in the early 80's, although I will admit that I will always be biased to the original.  The original came out when I was 6 years old, and I probably saw it a few years after that, so I was still very young.  It really freaked me out and I have always had a spot for it in my horror loving heart!

  I have a feeling that younger audiences will get the same feeling from this film if they are seeing this one without ever seeing the original. I can only hope they will have as fond of memories of this film as I do of the original.

  POLTERGEIST is available now on DVD, Blu-ray, and 3D Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and contains the following special features:

*  Alternate Ending
*  Still Gallery
*  Theatrical Trailers
*  Extended Cut of the film  (Blu-ray only)

CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray
CLICK HERE to purchase the 3D Blu-ray


https://www.foxconnect.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment