Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Sunday, February 28, 2016

Blu-ray Review: DEATHGASM (2015)


http://darkskyfilms.com/deathgasm-2/DEATHGASM
Written & Directed by 
Distributed by Dark Sky Films

  I had no clue what to expect going into this film.  I knew nothing about it and had not seen any trailers or pics from the film.  To be honest, I wasn't really expecting much out of this one, but what I got blew me away.  This is by far one of the most enjoyable films I have seen in years!  Not since the EVIL DEAD films have I enjoyed gore so much!   Here is the plot synopsis of the film from the Dark Sky Films website:

  High School is Hell! Metal-thrashing Brodie is an outcast in a sea of jocks and cheerleaders until he meets a kindred spirit in fellow metalhead Zakk. After starting their own band, Brodie and Zakk’s resentment of the suburban wasteland leads them to a mysterious piece of sheet music said to grant Ultimate Power to whoever plays it. But the music also summons an ancient evil entity known as Aeloth The Blind One, who threatens to tear apart existence itself. Their classmates and family become inhabited by demonic forces, tearing out their own eyes and turning into psychotic murderers… and this is only the beginning!
  It’s up to Brodie, Zakk and their group of friends to stop a force of pure evil from devouring all of mankind. A blood-soaked and hilarious horror comedy, DEATHGASM features an amazing original soundtrack of fist-banging metal and practical effects to satisfy metalheads and splatter fans alike. DEATHGASM will gush bodily fluids, rain limbs and tickle your funny bone, before tearing it out and giving you a stiff beating with it.

  This film is one of the goriest I have seen in quite a while, which is an excellent thing!  On top of that, the effects in this film look to all be practical effects which is also an excellent thing!   The film reminded me of other gorefests, such as EVIL DEAD, RE-ANIMATOR, and DEAD ALIVE just to name a few.   They don't make horror movies like this a lot these days, so I am very thankful for director Jason Lei Howden  for creating this remarkable film.  Also worth noting is the great soundtrack.  If you are heavy metal fan, you are in for a treat with the great music throughout the film.

  Every aspect of this film is spot on, from the acting and camera work, to the above mentioned gore effects.   While the film is a horror films, it is also a dark comedy and Howden does a great job mixing the two genres together.   Making a horror comedy can be very hard to do, as you have to find just the right balance of comedy and horror.   Filmmakers wanting to make a horror/comedy film should use DEATHGASM as the gold standard on how to achieve such a film.

  DEATHGASM is a must see in my opinion.  It is available now on DVD and Blu-ray from Dark Sky Films and contains the following special features:

*  Commentary with Writer-Director Jason Lei Howden
*  Featurettes
*  Music Video:  Bulletbelt- "Deathgasm"
*  Trailers/Teasers


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray
CLICK HERE to purchase the DVD



http://darkskyfilms.com/





No comments:

Post a Comment