Welcome to Hayes Hudson's House of Horror (4H)

Your online source for Horror news, info, and reviews. I cover new and classic Horror, as well as Exploitation and Cult films. I also discuss books, comics, games, toys, clothing, etc, as long as it pertains to the Horror genre. My movie reviews are short and to the point, as I know when I come across a long review, I tend to skip that one. I hope you enjoy your time at my House of Horror! Come on in!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Blu-ray Review: ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX (1983)


http://www.blue-underground.com/product.php?product=259ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX
Directed by: 
Distributed by:  Blue Underground

  A couple of months ago I posted my review of Director Enzo G. Castellari's 1990:  THE BRONX WARRIORS.  You can see that review HERE.  Castellari is back with his sequel to that film, ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX.   As much as I enjoyed the original film, I think this might be one of the few times when the sequel is actually better than the first film.   Here is the basic plot of ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX courtesy of the Blue Underground website:

 The year is 2000 and the Bronx has been reduced to a decaying, desolate wasteland infested with swarms of vicious street gangs and outcast scavengers. When an imperialistic mega-corporation plans to rebuild the doomed "No Man's Land" into a perfect metropolis, they unleash their secret army of sadistic death squads to wipe out the few remaining inhabitants. But beneath the twisted rubble, fierce legions of resistance fighters arm themselves for the final onslaught - ready to die for their homeland. And ready to kill for it. 

  As I mentioned above, I think I actually enjoyed this film better than the original.  This film was action packed throughout the entire running time, and even had quite a few instances of some good gore, which is a always a plus in my opinion!  The film is very bloody and violent, and in fact, boasts a body count of 174 deaths!   That's more than any horror movie I think you could find! 

  Now I have to admit, it had it's faults, including some pretty silly dialog and some laughable action scenes.   Some of these include our lead character Trash blowing up a helicopter with about 3 or 4 shots of his pistol!  He also shoots at a van (with what seems like unlimited bullets) until it explodes as well.   Maybe vehicles back in the 80's were just highly explosive compared to today's vehicles and our safety standards!   Although these scenes are a bit silly, they actually give the movie as certain charm and definitely don't take away from the enjoyment of this film.

  I highly recommend this one for all fans of exploitation, grindhouse type cinema.

  ESCAPE FROM THE BRONX is available now on Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from Blue Underground.  As always, Blue Underground has done an amazing job with this package with a beautiful Blu-ray transfer and some great special features including:

*  Audio Commentary with Co-Writer/Director Enzo G. Castellari
*  Enzo G. Castellari and Fabrizio De Angelis In Conversation Part 3
*  The Hunt For Trash - Interview with BRONX WARRIORS Superfan Lance Manley
*  Theatrical Trailers
*  Poster & Still Gallery


CLICK HERE to watch the trailer
CLICK HERE to purchase the Blu-ray


http://www.blue-underground.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment